The Last Horse Forum Index

<  The Server Room  ~  Help from the Mac users of LH

Lekai
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Will Plead for Title.
Elune Bless.
Joined: 27 Feb 2006 Posts: 1311 Location: Hiding from Paladins
There are three things I don't get.

People who make a big deal to shove meat in a vegetarians face, when they aren't pull that peta horse shit about animals dying and bombing burger kings.

American Politics

and the Overall hate of macs.

I do not understand this, and I've gotta say, it's nice having a computer that defragments while on standby, it's nice having a computer where I don't need to consistently scan for viruses and reformat every 1-2 months to be safe. it's nice to have a computer where I CAN'T buy a whole bunch of games and other programs I'll prolly never touch.
when it comes to straight up matenence, I gotta say my mac is easy to use and I don't have to spend time working on all sorts of problems that my dell had. I've got a computer that runs wow, photoshop, painter and itunes (RIP winamp) and favors good design, which is something I'm a more strong believer in than any sort of spirituality, and something I think the entire world needs more of. as for MY laptop, it's smaller than any PC laptops I've seen minus those notepad ones which are the size of my fist and can run programs about the same as said fist. it's also pretty easy to clean and doesn't have all the pointless bells and whistles my dell did.

In the end I think if the programs you need to use run on both it's preference. and for someone who would randomly click on any link that says "HEY, YOU NEED TO UPGRADE UR MACHINE, CLICK HERE." I'd prolly suggest a mac cause it will do less damage to the machine.
but hey, if everyone uses pc's no one is gonna take the time to code that shit for macs, so thats cool too Very Happy

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Sykotik
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Jorn wrote:
"I don't mind paying an extra 30% for a computer that does the exact same shit cause it's pretty and you're not part of the 'creative-class' who buys macs, troglodyte."

Hahaha. That's how I have always felt about iPods. They bordered on ridiculous in terms of price and capacity. Although, at Christmas I bought myself a Shuffle as I thought it was finally well priced.
Nenicirene
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Technocrat Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 1700
Jorn wrote:
"I don't mind paying an extra 30% for a computer that does the exact same shit cause it's pretty and you're not part of the 'creative-class' who buys macs, troglodyte."

This part of your rant, at least, is years out of date. Apple doesn't make cheap low-end Macs. The Macs they do make are price-competitive with equivalent hardware from other manufacturers, made all the more obvious now that they're running the same underlying hardware. Yes, you can probably build an equivalent machine yourself for less if you know what you're doing, comparison-shop for parts, take the time to assemble it, and pirate Windows or install a free OS. Have fun.

And as to usability, I've used Macs, Windows, and Linux for years, and the workflow and attention to detail on the Mac is still far superior. Polish takes work, which costs money, and I'm willing to pay for a superior experience. If I wasn't, I'd be using Linux, which still wouldn't know usability if it came up and bit it in the ass.

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Horde Spy Joined: 07 Nov 2005 Posts: 458 Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lekai wrote:
I've gotta say, it's nice having a computer that defragments while on standby, it's nice having a computer where I don't need to consistently scan for viruses and reformat every 1-2 months to be safe. it's nice to have a computer where I CAN'T buy a whole bunch of games and other programs I'll prolly never touch.
when it comes to straight up matenence, I gotta say my mac is easy to use and I don't have to spend time working on all sorts of problems that my dell had. I've got a computer that runs wow, photoshop, painter and itunes (RIP winamp) and favors good design, which is something I'm a more strong believer in than any sort of spirituality, and something I think the entire world needs more of. as for MY laptop, it's smaller than any PC laptops I've seen minus those notepad ones which are the size of my fist and can run programs about the same as said fist. it's also pretty easy to clean and doesn't have all the pointless bells and whistles my dell did.

In the end I think if the programs you need to use run on both it's preference. and for someone who would randomly click on any link that says "HEY, YOU NEED TO UPGRADE UR MACHINE, CLICK HERE." I'd prolly suggest a mac cause it will do less damage to the machine.
but hey, if everyone uses pc's no one is gonna take the time to code that shit for macs, so thats cool too Very Happy

This is in no way meant to attack you Lekai, or to defend myself, but I enjoy the PC/Mac argument Very Happy I'm a die-hard PC enthusiast, but it doesn't mean I think Macs suck. As I pointed above, what I dislike is general misconceptions about either PCs or Macs. Ergo, baring in mind that I'm a very heavy user, if this can help clear things up for you:

- I generally defrag overnight.
- I *never* run a full-time anti-virus (or firewall) nor perform any standby/periodic systems scans; generally, I scan for viruses every 3-4 months, and it always comes back clean.
- I do tend to format 2-4 times a year since I change my hardware constantly (by choice). However, since I always have a ghosted HDD or partition ready to go, a format /reinstall takes all of 45 minutes and is largely automated.
- As far as games and programs go... well, 95% of the software I use is open-source so there's no buying involved, and I enjoy having my pick of games since I really like 'em razz
- Hardware maintenance is identical for PCs and Macs, only PCs have a wider variety of hardware - I'll concede one thing in favour of Macs though: no hardware incompatibilities.
- As far as good design goes, Macs aren't the only well-designed computers out there. My pride and joy is this little puppy: http://tinyurl.com/djule - that's one sexy, fully-featured, and insanely quiet shoebox.

Hardware/Software education is the key, in my opinion. Nothing extreme, either, but for the few hours and little money invested, the return on said investment is huge, not to mention the fact that as digital and wireless components start popping up all over the place, the knowledge carries over. The extra $$ spent on Mac(s) provide the opposite: peace of mind. In the end, Macs respond to a definite need in the market, there's no denying it.

[Rylle]: ringwraiths are fucking real
Eboshi
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, why all the Mac hate?

Could it be because Steve Jobs is a witch?
Caladine
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
That Guy Who Married Lacia Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 1589 Location: Yeah, those are the Rockies.
Eboshi wrote:
Yes, why all the Mac hate?

Could it be because Steve Jobs is a witch?

Hah.
He might not be witch, but he's nearly as arrogant as the Sony PR people. razz

The truth is that Macs aren't any any better then PCs.
The only benefit you get with them is that so few people actually use them, they aren't targeted by hackers and bot writers remotely as much.

Tetsuos
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
omg i pissed myself at that skit. Surprised

Lekai
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Will Plead for Title.
Elune Bless.
Joined: 27 Feb 2006 Posts: 1311 Location: Hiding from Paladins
Khyr wrote:
Lekai wrote:
I've gotta say, it's nice having a computer that defragments while on standby, it's nice having a computer where I don't need to consistently scan for viruses and reformat every 1-2 months to be safe. it's nice to have a computer where I CAN'T buy a whole bunch of games and other programs I'll prolly never touch.

This is in no way meant to attack you Lekai, or to defend myself, but I enjoy the PC/Mac argument Very Happy I'm a die-hard PC enthusiast, but it doesn't mean I think Macs suck. As I pointed above, what I dislike is general misconceptions about either PCs or Macs. Ergo, baring in mind that I'm a very heavy user, if this can help clear things up for you:

- I generally defrag overnight.
- I *never* run a full-time anti-virus (or firewall) nor perform any standby/periodic systems scans; generally, I scan for viruses every 3-4 months, and it always comes back clean.
- I do tend to format 2-4 times a year since I change my hardware constantly (by choice). However, since I always have a ghosted HDD or partition ready to go, a format /reinstall takes all of 45 minutes and is largely automated.
- As far as games and programs go... well, 95% of the software I use is open-source so there's no buying involved, and I enjoy having my pick of games since I really like 'em razz
- Hardware maintenance is identical for PCs and Macs, only PCs have a wider variety of hardware - I'll concede one thing in favour of Macs though: no hardware incompatibilities.
- As far as good design goes, Macs aren't the only well-designed computers out there. My pride and joy is this little puppy: http://tinyurl.com/djule - that's one sexy, fully-featured, and insanely quiet shoebox.

Hardware/Software education is the key, in my opinion. Nothing extreme, either, but for the few hours and little money invested, the return on said investment is huge, not to mention the fact that as digital and wireless components start popping up all over the place, the knowledge carries over. The extra $$ spent on Mac(s) provide the opposite: peace of mind. In the end, Macs respond to a definite need in the market, there's no denying it.

Well, I've got all those useless certifications on networking that are probably way out of date now. Keep in mind I was trained on windows 2k -_-
and when first getting into art schools in which macs are required I first didn't like them much, and terminal still eludes the amount of commands I know on a basic dos prompt. but I'll give you this, there are some hot PC's out there, but overall I'm down with not having the ability to run all the programs I want for a tighter machine, compatibility wise (like you said, macs have few to none hardware incompatibilities for stuff which is mac-friendly.) between models. Bare in mind I'm OSX+ on the mac world, I can't stand Os9, I remember using it on the machintosh™ computers in the high school writing lab and despising the whole system.
Heres the great thing about the intel chips as well, I can use bootcamp or somesuch program to have a clean windows install on my machine and not worry about security holes because it's on a mac. Overall I'm happy to have made the switch minus a FEW pc games which I'd totally rock. (see: oblivion)
also keep in mind, that when you go to say, your grandma's house, on a pc it's pretty much always slow because those less tech-savy people will unknowingly download whatever pops up onto thier machine and don't reformat or defrag. When it comes down to it I think that with a basic understanding of what you want from your machine and what you do its a personal choice, because they both have thier benefits. for the uneducated user, a mac would be a "safer" choice, but at the same time, as I said prior - That would start making more macs target of the scripts and malware and whatnot, which would kinda ruin it for me. :\

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Rylle
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! Orange Hammer! Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 3574 Location: THE DUNGEON OF BEARS
Blizzard was my favorite game developer way before WoW simply because they've always been just as supportive of their Mac products as they have Windows. They do both versions themselves, patch and support them simultaneously, and even include both versions on their games' disks.

It's been over five years since I used a mac myself, so I don't follow the mac gaming scene anymore, but the sort of even-handed treatment Blizzard provides was leagues ahead of anything else at the time and I'd imagine it still is. So they're awesome. And I'd like to think that a meaningful portion of their success is because of this, but I'm sure someone with a hate-on for apple could dig up numbers to prove me wrong if they really wanted to.

Anyway, remember: hating something because people like it because it's not popular is smrt d=('_' )z
Shillandy
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing to really "hate" about macs. You pay more than you would for a PC, for very specific things. If you value those things, but it, by all means. But if you don't, then don't. Live and let live.

UncleBeuford
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Needs to Put On Some Clothes Joined: 18 Jul 2005 Posts: 2619
its really more of a history lesson; at least for me. When the IT companies/individuals made a fundamental decision, they determined who thier market would most likely be.

apple = closed architecture

Microsoft = quasi open

Linux = mostly open

Bottom line, each has its advantages.

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I've never used a mac but I'd love to own one of the new macbook pros. They just appeal to me. I currently run Ubuntu Linux on an hp dv1170 laptop and my homebuilt desktop. I don't have a windows install on either of my machines (mostly because I can't justify spending money for winblows). I don't know anything about OS X other than what i've seen in demos and such but it looks interesting. Ubuntu is the only flavor of Linux I've used that was pretty much ready to go out of the box (which is what the distro was designed around). I mostly just use my laptop for media and web surfing. But I played WoW on my ubuntu desktop for almost a year before I quit. It took a bit of a performance hit but not too bad given that the software wasn't written with Linux in mind.

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Nenicirene wrote:
This part of your rant, at least, is years out of date. Apple doesn't make cheap low-end Macs.

The Dell monitor I'm using right now cost about 60% of the price the equivalent Apple model and has EXACTLY the same hardware in it.

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Jorn wrote:
Nenicirene wrote:
This part of your rant, at least, is years out of date. Apple doesn't make cheap low-end Macs.

The Dell monitor I'm using right now cost about 60% of the price the equivalent Apple model and has EXACTLY the same hardware in it.

Actually it has a better backlight in it if you are talking about the 20" widescreen monitor. The panel is the same LG panel but the dell has the better backlight. The only thing I liked about the cinema display was the fact that its sealed against dust, course that creates heat issues as well but I couldn't justify paying twice as much for the same monitor.