The Last Horse Forum Index

<  The Server Room  ~  Corrupted Boot Sector

Rylle
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! Orange Hammer! Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 3574 Location: THE DUNGEON OF BEARS
Every few months I get a disk read error on booting up, and I can consistently fix the issue by popping in my XP Pro CD, going into their repair utility, and repairing the boot sector, which apparently gets corrupted.

Are there any consistent causes of this problem that I ought to look into? Could it be an indication of a faulty hard drive? It is some five-plus years old; is this a sign of aging?

The last time I did a complete nuke-and-pave reinstallation of Windows was last spring, and things have been vaguely wonky and unstable ever since, in ways they weren't in the previous installation. Could it be there's just something out of whack in the Windows installation that is regularly corrupting its own boot sector?

How about aliens. Could aliens be at fault?

Pirates? Communists? Sentient bacteria? Government agents?
Magos
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ice-Cold Joined: 11 Jul 2005 Posts: 2137 Location: havetogonotime
Rylle wrote:

they are everywhere.

Above all, I must not get caught.
Tamuril
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Rylle wrote:

Pirates? Communists? Sentient bacteria? Government agents?

All of the above...I've said too much.

Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
usually when you try to customize windows (like the boot screen and login screen, etc) it can screw up and change files. if you have anything that customizes windows or you do it yourself. remove them/your settings and look here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm[/url]

Crasz
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Tetsuos wrote:
usually when you try to customize windows (like the boot screen and login screen, etc) it can screw up and change files. if you have anything that customizes windows or you do it yourself. remove them/your settings and look here:

Changing a boot screen or login screen doesn't do anything to the MBR. The article you linked to, however, does have items that could throw off the MBR.

Tetsuos
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Crasz wrote:
Tetsuos wrote:

Changing a boot screen or login screen doesn't do anything to the MBR. The article you linked to, however, does have items that could throw off the MBR.

correct, BUT, when i was changing shit in windows with programs and stuff i DID have the same error. i stopped, fixed it, and it works ever since.

Rylle
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! Orange Hammer! Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 3574 Location: THE DUNGEON OF BEARS
I don't have any custom stuff like that, but I'll take a look all the same, maybe I'll find something.

Since the fix seems reliable so far, I think my overriding concern is whether this problem is relatively inoccuous or indicative of a greater problem (like the hardware failure I mentioned my concern for). It certainly scared me shitless when I first saw it but having a quick, easy and effective solution has perhaps made me complacent.
Tetsuos
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
you aren't getting a error about missing a file right? just a corrupted mbr?

if so, then maybe it's a sign of hdd failure. Shocked

Rylle
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It boots, checks for IDE drives, like normal, then says "Disk Read Error, press ctl-alt-del to reboot." Doesn't get into windows, stays at the black and white screan I want to call the BIOS but know that's the wrong name for it.

Booting off a disk and going into the Recovery Console or whatever it is, I use the "fixboot" command, and it does its thing, says "Boot sector is corrupted, writing a new one" then "K GO GO GO" and everything is back to normal.

So far I haven't had any corrupted or missing files. No symptoms of this issue outside the boot thing.
Sykotik
Posted: Tue 02 Jan 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's the BIOS. When your system starts up BIOS starts to POST and determines which device to boot from. It reads the first sector of the device and boots from that.

Corrupted boot sectors are generally from a virus or like Tets said your HDD could be failing. The recovery tools from Windows are generally pretty good at repairing the MBR because they(I think most) keep a copy somewhere on the logical drive.

Man, busting out the A+.
Caladine
Posted: Wed 03 Jan 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
That Guy Who Married Lacia Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 1589 Location: Yeah, those are the Rockies.
Sykotik wrote:
Yeah, it's the BIOS. When your system starts up BIOS starts to POST and determines which device to boot from. It reads the first sector of the device and boots from that.

Corrupted boot sectors are generally from a virus or like Tets said your HDD could be failing. The recovery tools from Windows are generally pretty good at repairing the MBR because they(I think most) keep a copy somewhere on the logical drive.

Man, busting out the A+.

Yep.
Honestly, I'd be more worried about an unstable portion of the disk than anything destroying your MBR. Most BIOSes have an option to prompt when any writes are attempted to the MBR, I'd suggest turning that on and watching. If you get another MBR failure without getting a prompt, it's hard drive failure.