The Last Horse Forum Index

<  The Server Room  ~  More Hard Drive Woe

Rylle
Posted: Fri 12 Jan 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! Orange Hammer! Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 3574 Location: THE DUNGEON OF BEARS
Well, it seems my problematic drive is starting to give up the ghost.

Currently I can't boot up; I get the error that "ntfs.sys" is missing or corrupt, and I should use the repair utility on the XP disk to fix it. Unfortunately, the repair utility doesn't offer much in the way of explanations.

Any suggestions on where to proceed from here? Yes, I know I need to replace the drive, but in the meantime I want to get this one up on its feet so I can finish backing stuff up off of it.

If I can't, I suppose I could always try to install WIndows on my other drive, and maybe still be able to access the first. I hope that works, at any rate!~
Rylle
Posted: Fri 12 Jan 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! Orange Hammer! Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 3574 Location: THE DUNGEON OF BEARS
Also, here's a stupid question...

Is it possible to have both IDE and SATA drives hooked up at once? Shocked I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to move on to SATA, but I still have a single 200 gig IDE drive that works perfectly fine.
Tetsuos
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
there is an artical on this error at microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

Rylle
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
So there is. Thanks, Tets, this looks pretty useful.

Unfortunately I already started reinstalling XP over the old installation. Shocked So I'm not sure if this would have fixed it. Ahh, well, that's what I get for jumping the gun. :\
Crytin
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Batman™ of the Internet Joined: 23 Jun 2005 Posts: 2950 Location: homeless
hi i'm rylle i'm dumb i have breasts

Rylle
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
I am dumb. I didn't back my shit up because I'm young and invincible. So I ended up losing years of accumulated junk, some of which I myself made and was important to me! Before you go and laugh, many of those files were the OWL picture archive. Know this and know my pain.

But a friend has pointed me towards http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec, which just combs for files. It's churning right now and has recovered some 41,000+ things so far with twenty minutes left to go. So perhaps I will win anyway. Shocked
Tiranos
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Rylley Rylle! Listen to Tir, I get one of these "run it into the ground before I worry about my data" drives each month at my office. I can probably recover your data even if you've written over it or the drive is no longer readable, but you've got to stop using it *now*. Contact me in-game (if you've already installed it) or PM me here if you're interested.
rhynn
Posted: Sat 13 Jan 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kitty on a Smoke Break Joined: 23 Jun 2005 Posts: 971
Quote:

Is it possible to have both IDE and SATA drives hooked up at once?

Yes.

and I'm wishing I had a floppy drive right now. *sighs* I run XP off of my SATA drive, and I've been doing a lot of experimenting and stuff with the install, and it's starting to show it...

Unfortunately, without a floppy drive, doing a fresh install of XP onto a SATA drive is a pain in the ass (install windows on IDE drive, install SATA drivers from net, create drive image, apply drive image to SATA drive.) ... and of course, I wiped my old drive image that I use. >.<

The NTFS is missing or corrupt error can be a lot of different things, too. Corrupt file system, converting from FAT32 to NTFS, like the article says, or even a dying hard drive.

When you reinstalled XP, did you reformat the drive? If so and the problem goes away, you could have been looking at just MFT/filesystem problems.