The Last Horse Forum Index

<  The Server Room  ~  Help from the Mac users of LH

Nightbreeze
Posted: Tue 30 Jan 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
Affinity for Tigers Joined: 22 Sep 2005 Posts: 973 Location: Forest full of Trees
Ok, After several failed attempts to get my mom to use a PC we went with a Mac mini. I know i know, but she likes it much better than windows (and she thought the case was cute). Any how I know very little about Macs or what to expect, or how to find shit in the OS.

A day or so ago when she walked away from the computer (ie the screen saver went on and the monitor went on standby when she got back) Every thing was fine. iTunes was playing and all was good. When she got back the screen was blue (like the start up screen) nothing was on it, and iTunes was still playing. I ran the built in tech scan program and it happened again, though the monitor never went to stand by mode. I left it overnight like that to see what happend and it was still unresponsive and blue (the monitor never did go to stanby mode)

She got the mac in the fall of 2005 and here is the nutritional information:
1.25 Ghz G4
512 DDR SDRAM
40 gig HDD
dvd/cdr combo
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32 mb ram
built in 10/100 ethernet and v.92 modem
fire wire and usb ports too.

Any help or sugesstions would be great. Also i found out she does not have virus protection software, so suggestions for that would be awesome. Thanks a bunch guys.

Edit: oh its running OS X

Caladine
Posted: Tue 30 Jan 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
That Guy Who Married Lacia Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 1589 Location: Yeah, those are the Rockies.
I wish I could help, but my experience with Macs is limited.

As a complete aside to this, people are always saying Macs are so much better than Windows machines, when it's not all that true. Especially with the advent of OS X. Apple is one of the few companies that can take a completely good operating system (BSD) and pervert it into the trash that is OS X.

Lekai
Posted: Tue 30 Jan 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Will Plead for Title.
Elune Bless.
Joined: 27 Feb 2006 Posts: 1311 Location: Hiding from Paladins
to be honest, I learn to fix problems as they come up, so I don't know how to fix much on mac razz
neni would be your best bet, she knows a ton about these sorts of things it seems.
also I seem to recall the mac mini's having all sorts of strange issues.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Caladine
Posted: Tue 30 Jan 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
That Guy Who Married Lacia Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 1589 Location: Yeah, those are the Rockies.
Lekai wrote:
also I seem to recall the mac mini's having all sorts of strange issues.

That's my impression too...

Nenicirene
Posted: Tue 30 Jan 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Technocrat Joined: 22 Jun 2005 Posts: 1699
Never heard of this problem before, but some searches using the Google™ Brand Search Engine reveal that other people have reported similar things with G4 Minis in mid-late 2005.

What kind of monitor does it have attached? Some people report it's a problem with a bad monitor connection when using a VGA connecter. Perhaps fiddling with that might help? One guy did an Archive & Install of the OS, and the problem went away, but another guy tried it and it didn't do anything.

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Affinity for Tigers Joined: 22 Sep 2005 Posts: 973 Location: Forest full of Trees
Caladine wrote:
I wish I could help, but my experience with Macs is limited.

As a complete aside to this, people are always saying Macs are so much better than Windows machines, when it's not all that true. Especially with the advent of OS X. Apple is one of the few companies that can take a completely good operating system (BSD) and pervert it into the trash that is OS X.

I agree Jered. The switch to mac for her had more to do with it being simpler and more intunitve than windows and that windows reminded her of my dad, which made her hate the PC even more than she already did.

Neni: Thanks a ton for the help, i was really hoping you would see the post. I tried gooleling some stuff, but i didnt know exactly what i was looking for, and i was really tired so i got crappy results.

The problem was indeed the video connector, which turned out to be REALLY loose.

Tetsuos
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
what's a mac? Embarassed

Crytin
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Batman™ of the Internet Joined: 23 Jun 2005 Posts: 2950 Location: homeless
MAC SUCKS AND I HATE THOSE COMMERCIALS WITH THAT SNUB ASSHOLE DICK. THE MICROSOFT GUY'S JUST TRYING TO BE COOL WITH YOU STOP BEING A FUCK.

GOD.

UncleBeuford
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Needs to Put On Some Clothes Joined: 18 Jul 2005 Posts: 2619
Crytin wrote:
MAC SUCKS AND I HATE THOSE COMMERCIALS WITH THAT SNUB ASSHOLE DICK. THE MICROSOFT GUY'S JUST TRYING TO BE COOL WITH YOU STOP BEING A FUCK.

GOD.

these ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Krgk4Mlps&mode=related&search=

because I heard of the little thing called the "internet".

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Horde Spy Joined: 07 Nov 2005 Posts: 458 Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Edit: Sorry NB, I know very little about Macs, but as obvious as this sounds it's very likely to simply be a wiring (check connectors, as Neni suggested), or a hardware failure, and chances are it's either the video card overheating, or possibly a monitor malfunction. It's highly unlikely to be the HDD or motherboard, almost impossible for it to be the optical drive or any networking/sound component, but it could very well be the RAM. If you know someone else w/ a Mac and working troubleshooting knowledge, I'd have them look/swap out their video/monitor/RAM out with yours and give it a whirl.

Edit 2: I should really read your replies before suggesting anything.

I'm with Crytin on this one. Dell should counter the Mac ads by coming up with one where the PC has millions of friends over playing games, while the Mac is playing with himself in a corner with an iBrator. In another commercial, the MAC is living on the street 'caues the owner's flat broke from having spent way too much on a computer, while the PC is snorting china white off a slab of diamond balanced on 2 hookers' backs (one male, one female - to be "PC", get it?) 'cause he's got so much extra dough. In yet another commercial, the PC and and the Mac are both working with graphics and video... and that's it. They do the exact same thing, and nothing is different. At all. Then the PC flips out and duct tapes the Mac to the floor 'cause the Mac needs to come back down to Earth.

[Rylle]: ringwraiths are fucking real
Magos
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Ice-Cold Joined: 11 Jul 2005 Posts: 2137 Location: havetogonotime
Khyr wrote:
I'm with Crytin on this one. Dell should counter the Mac ads by coming up with one where the PC has millions of friends over playing games, while the Mac is playing with himself in a corner with an iBrator. In another commercial, the MAC is living on the street 'caues the owner's flat broke from having spent way too much on a computer, while the PC is snorting china white off a slab of diamond balanced on 2 hookers' backs (one male, one female - to be "PC", get it?) 'cause he's got so much extra dough. In yet another commercial, the PC and and the Mac are both working with graphics and video... and that's it. They do the exact same thing, and nothing is different. At all. Then the PC flips out and duct tapes the Mac to the floor 'cause the Mac needs to come back down to Earth.

omg khyr Laughing

Above all, I must not get caught.
Caladine
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Khyr wrote:
Edit: Sorry NB, I know very little about Macs, but as obvious as this sounds it's very likely to simply be a wiring (check connectors, as Neni suggested), or a hardware failure, and chances are it's either the video card overheating, or possibly a monitor malfunction. It's highly unlikely to be the HDD or motherboard, almost impossible for it to be the optical drive or any networking/sound component, but it could very well be the RAM. If you know someone else w/ a Mac and working troubleshooting knowledge, I'd have them look/swap out their video/monitor/RAM out with yours and give it a whirl.

Edit 2: I should really read your replies before suggesting anything.

LOL

Yeah, those Mac adds are so stupidly annoying.
The latest one is where "PC" has to get upgraded to run Vista.
Let's conveniently forget that you had to go out and buy a brand fucking new machine when OSX originally came out, if you didn't have something brand new. Amazing how close that is to the Vista upgrade...

Khyr
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Horde Spy Joined: 07 Nov 2005 Posts: 458 Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Caladine wrote:
Yeah, those Mac adds are so stupidly annoying.
Let's conveniently forget that you had to go out and buy a brand fucking new machine when OSX originally came out, if you didn't have something brand new. Amazing how close that is to the Vista upgrade...

My personal favorite is having to purchase a new Mac OS revision every year, unless I'm completely mistaken. Which I might be. Did you have to pay for each revision, say between 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, etc.?

Disclaimer: don't get me wrong, Macs are fine. Their advertising strategy, while apparently effective, could be alot more effective.

No, you can't hear Khyr's rant version. Not yours.

[Rylle]: ringwraiths are fucking real
Jorn
Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Caladine wrote:

When OS X originally came out (10.0.x) it wouldn't run shit and was a complete peice of shit that looked 'pretty'. If Microsoft had released Vista two years ago as a real operating system (OH BUT KEEP XP INSTALLED IN THE BACKGROUND TO RUN THE REAL PROGRAMS) can you imagine the heat they'd take? OH but Apple was being 'innovative'. My wife has an Apple and it's a fucking pain the ass to use and I fucking rage whenever she tells me she's having a problem cause figuring that dogshit piece of shit out makes my head explode.

Fuck Macs with my fist. How the fuck can people defend such an egotistical cockfuck like Jobs whose entire business model is based around creating a monopoly and extracting economic rent from consumers where we already have a competitive market. "I don't mind paying an extra 30% for a computer that does the exact same shit cause it's pretty and you're not part of the 'creative-class' who buys macs, troglodyte."

Posted: Wed 31 Jan 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Khyr wrote:
My personal favorite is having to purchase a new Mac OS revision every year, unless I'm completely mistaken. Which I might be. Did you have to pay for each revision, say between 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, etc.?

OH that one's good too. I forgot about that. Give the operating systems funky names too so it doesn't feel so bad when Jobs slides is palm into your wallet. 'Oh I just love Panther it's so much better than Jaguar'. STFU.